Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Do-Division Street Fest

What could be better than hopping in a cab for a quick ride over to Division & Damen for my first street fest of the summer? Not much...I'm here to tell you. On Sunday night I ventured to Wicker Park for the Do-Division Street Fest and was greeted by hundreds (thousands?) of indie rock/hippie kids of all ages. The whole intent of this trip to the west neighborhood was very important. Ever since I began listening to the White Rabbits I promised myself that I could not miss them the next time they visit the Chi. True to the promises that I make to myself, I found myself scurrying around my apartment at 6:35pm on Sunday night after a long day at work, but at 6:40pm I was safely in a cab and well on my way.

The show started promptly at 7:00pm and you better believe that Cara, her newest boy, and myself were elbowing our way to the front at that point. Their set lasted about 40 minutes, but it was packed with drum & piano-heavy songs that kept everyone's heads moving. The energy seemed to build about 15 minutes into their set and soon the guys of the band had made many of the kids in the audience true believers in their music. Cara's boy was anticipating a rowdy version of "Percussion Gun", while I was hoping for "The Plot" to make an appearance on their abbreviated set list. We were both in luck.

If you ever get the chance to check out these young guys from Missouri then you are in for a real treat. They're easy on the eyes (that one's for you, ladies!) and their live show goes above and beyond any album they have recorded in the past couple of years. I didn't think it was possible, but I heard it with my own two ears.

For the next best thing you can check out their latest release, It's Frightening.

Download it: "Percussion Gun" / "The Plot" / "Kid on My Shoulders" / "They Done Wrong - We Done Wrong"

No comments:

Post a Comment